Weka installation on Azure
This section aims at a system engineer who is familiar with the Azure fundamentals and is experienced with using Terraform to deploy a system on Azure.
The Weka® Data Platform on Microsoft Azure provides a fast and scalable platform to run, for example, performance-intensive applications and hybrid cloud workflows. It can also be used for object stores, tiering, and snapshots using the Azure Blob service, for example, to create backups and DR copies.
Weka provides a ready-to-deploy Terraform package that you can customize for installing the Weka cluster on Azure. The Weka cluster is deployed with a multiple containers architecture, in which each container serves a single process type: Compute, Drives, or Frontend.
The Weka cluster is deployed in a single virtual network (VNet, similar to VPC in other clouds), where peering is not required. Each VNet has subnets, routes, firewalls, and an internal DNS. The networking uses UDP mode with an MTU of 1500 bytes, which means only one NIC per virtual machine is used.
Depending on the required security level, you can deploy the Weka cluster using the Terraform package on one of the following subnet types:
- Public subnet: Use a public subnet within your VNet with an internet gateway, and allow public IP addresses for your virtual machines.
- Private subnet: Use a private subnet within your VNet that has access to an APT repository containing the required deployment packages.
Weka cluster on Azure deployment
Azure is a cloud computing platform with an ever-expanding set of services to help you build solutions to meet your business goals. Azure services range from simple web services for hosting your business presence in the cloud to running fully virtualized computers for you to run your custom software solutions.
Azure provides a wealth of cloud-based services like remote storage, database hosting, and centralized account management. Azure also offers new capabilities like AI and the Internet of Things (IoT).
To learn about Azure fundamentals, Microsoft provides learning modules at https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/training/. You can start with the Introduction to Azure fundamentals.
Terraform is an open-source project from Hashicorp. It creates and manages resources on cloud platforms and on-premises clouds. Unlike AWS CloudFormation, it works with many APIs from multiple platforms and services.
Terraform is the primary tool for deploying Weka on Azure.
A deployment with Terraform involves three phases:
- Write: Define the infrastructure in configuration files and customize the project variables provided in the Terraform package.
- Plan: Review the changes Terraform will make to your infrastructure.
- Apply: Terraform provisions the infrastructure, including the VMs and instances, installs the Weka software, and creates the cluster. Once completed, the Weka cluster runs on Azure.